Tuesday, November 4, 2008

learn how to sew....check....

I can now say that I can sew!! Well not totally by myself but if someone threads the bobin and gets me going I can do almost anything! Oh gosh let's not get carried away. Thanks to Cami I can sew at least a blanket. It all started when we were at mutual one night. As we were leaving to go home I saw some ladies knitting or quilting or something. It was a random thought but I blurtted out that I wanted to learn how to at least basic sew. Cami then looked at me and said, "What?" I told her, "Didn't you see those ladies in there sewing or whatever they were doing? Totally random I know but I want to learn how to sew." I don't think those were my exact words but that was the jist of it. She then gave me this look like should I tell her, should I not? Then...she just told me. "Well it was going to be a surprise but when I visited my parents I bought some material to make Dezi a blanket for his birthday and the material design is super cute! So if you want you can come over, i'll teach you how to sew it? " Me: "Are you serious? Yeah I wanna do it!!!! Are you sure? Yeah i'll do it!!!"(again not my exact words but I was to excited to remember what I said) I was so excited that I was gonna get the opportunity to actually learn how to sew. The process of it was totally a different story.

So I go to Cami's house and she has everything set up already. After eating dinner, which I made and brought over....wasn't it the bomb Cami?...LOL!!! We started on the blanket. As you can see from the pictures below the blanket is made out of strips. So I ironed each strip, then we pinned the two sides together and I began to sew, repeating the process, adding on each panel strip at a time. Everything was going great and we were on a roll until we got to the last panel. FIGURES! As we were starting to sew the last panel the machine, which we borrowed from another sister in the ward, all of a sudden wouldn't sew. Despite all of Cami's efforts the darn thing just wouldn't work. I don't know about Cami but right then a little bit of panic set in. I'm thinking....."Oh crap we just broke her machine and she's never gonna let us use anything of hers again!" So we decided to just go to her house and let her help us. She was so gracious about our some what unexpected visit and helped us finish it. What had happened was the needle was hitting the bobbin and it dented it. So the thread wasn't coming out. Or something close to that. She was also gracious about that and after talking til 11p.m. we finally went home. I was so proud of myself (and still am). Thanks Cami for letting the cat out of the bag! I had a fun, fun, looong night! Ha ha ha!! And thanks to Sis. McArthur for letting us borrow her sewing machine and helping us to finish the final parts!


I had to cut little slits down each row of panels so that it would have the fringed look.

And here is the finished product!

P.S. click on the pics to enlarge them.

1 comments:

kelly

that looks so cute, i love it and it is really fun that you learned to sew! wish i could say the same, i still need the bobbin threaded.